All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis

mcflow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

open trunk automatically :)

Postby mcflow » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Hey guys,

long time no see :). One of our german members of our 1-series forum tested some ways to open the trunk automatically with the remote. Here is the result:

What you just need are 2 springs as following: http://cgi.ebay.de/Federelemente-SZ-801 ... 2eab99d65f

and 2 rubber gaskets like these:

You can order the springs with part no. 8010.20 x 032 also at this company: http://www.steinelnormalien.de/

It will finally look like this:

and to see it in motion - here are the vids ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSW9JLyhW20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me-VJO8x9Nw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZTmWeTlDaw

In addition the tensioning depends on the outside temperature and it also occurs that it doesn't work sometimes. You'll also need more power to close the trunk or even push the boot lid into the lock. But nevertheless it's a great and cheap mod ;).

best regards from Germany ;)
Flo

Source: http://www.1erforum.de/der-1er-bmw/heck ... 29997.html
Last edited by mcflow on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

verysideways
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: open trunk automatically :)

Postby verysideways » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:38 pm

That's brilliant! For €5!

I've got to do this now :)

'16 BMW F22 M235i (x2)
'13 BMW F20 M135i
http://petrolhead.tours

-J-
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby -J- » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:35 pm

+1 Has to be done!!!
118d Sport, 5dr, Black Sapphire, Black front grilles, 710 wheels, Tinted rear lights
Telefonica GSXR 600 SRAD

SeventyThree
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby SeventyThree » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:42 pm

i must be having a blonde moment, as i can't think of a practical application for this?

i can only think of trundling out of the supermarket with both hands full shopping, but i would still need to put my hand in my pocket?

mcflow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby mcflow » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:48 pm

old smoker wrote:i must be having a blonde moment, as i can't think of a practical application for this?

i can only think of trundling out of the supermarket with both hands full shopping, but i would still need to put my hand in my pocket?

You don't? So please explain to me why we have such a button on the remote which will only pop the boot lid out of the lock without doing anything else? It's just an additional feature ;)

verysideways

Postby verysideways » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:49 pm

But if you put the key in your hand before picking up the shopping and walking out to the car, then you could simply press the button as you approached the car rather than putting your bags of shopping down on the sopping wet tarmac of the car park to reach into your pocket for the key... :)

'16 BMW F22 M235i (x2)
'13 BMW F20 M135i
http://petrolhead.tours

SeventyThree
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby SeventyThree » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 pm

mcflow wrote:
old smoker wrote:i must be having a blonde moment, as i can't think of a practical application for this?

You don't? So please explain to me why we have such a button on the remote which will only pop the boot lid out of the lock without doing anything else? It's just an additional feature ;)

exactly, what the point of that too. in fact unstead of accidentally unlocking the boot, you'll be opening it :lol: . Not trying to p*ss on anyones parade though. fair play,it's well thought out and clever.

mcflow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby mcflow » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:56 pm

old smoker wrote:
mcflow wrote:

exactly, what the point of that too. in fact unstead of accidentally unlocking the boot, you'll be opening it :lol: . Not trying to p*ss on anyones parade though. fair play,it's well thought out and clever.

Either way ;)

If I would unlock the boot accidentally than i'd need to open and close the boot by myself. With that feature - at least it would look kinda cool :D

But now this button is useful ;)

Sam1er
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Sam1er » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:13 am

Very cool mod, always wanted the boot to open in such a way, could never figuer out why they would put that button there to only unlock the boot but still had to flip the lid to get it open.
120d sport 2004 Sparkling Graphite - work time - Now gone but not forgotten
325i se e90 - The new work horse
645ci Silver - play time

Supernova99
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby Supernova99 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:40 pm

Is there any instructions to complete this mod?
It looks like the springs are attached to the gas struts but there are no closeup pics
2009 - BMW 118d SE Dynamic 3dr in Space Grey - Cranberry Sports Seats - Cruise control, Prof HU & iPod integration

cosmic_dave
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby cosmic_dave » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:55 pm

awesome, i want but dont have an ebay account and my german is not that good either
BMW E81 118d ///M Sport Shooting Brake (gone)
BMW E86 Z4 Coupe mmmm straight six

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby robsaboy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Sounds great, but not sure myself. Used to have an e46 compact where the boot opened fully on the key - catch the button in your pocket when reversed up to a wall e.g in a multi storey carpark = :cry:
F21 125i M Sport, Mineral Grey, Xenon's, heated seats, sun protection glass, HK audio, variable steering, extended storage

Gone but not forgotten - 3 door 118i M sport, Le Mans blue

mcflow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby mcflow » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:00 pm

Supernova99 wrote:Is there any instructions to complete this mod?
It looks like the springs are attached to the gas struts but there are no closeup pics

Hey,

yes, just put them around the gas struts and adjust them with the rubber gasket.

cosmic_dave wrote:awesome, i want but dont have an ebay account and my german is not that good either

just order them from the company I mentioned in my 1st posting.

robsaboy wrote:Sounds great, but not sure myself. Used to have an e46 compact where the boot opened fully on the key - catch the button in your pocket when reversed up to a wall e.g in a multi storey carpark = :cry:

Well, how do all the Mercedes E-Class drivers do all this? You have to be careful and you can still catch the boot lid before it will totally open.

Glasgow_Gio
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby Glasgow_Gio » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 pm

The website you have suggested we purchase them from doesn't appear to do little orders such as two springs.
Everyday above ground is a good day!!

2005 116i ES, 5dr Jet Black, Armrest mod, Sunblinds, 207M's, Eibach Sportlines, LED plate lights, Fully de-ambered indicators.

mcflow
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby mcflow » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:34 pm

Glasgow_Gio wrote:The website you have suggested we purchase them from doesn't appear to do little orders such as two springs.

I know, but just write an email to them.

info@steinel-normalien.de

That's how it worked for us, too. Just tell them you'll need it for the 1-series boot lid and they'll know what's up ;)

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”