Baby BMW Forum banner

My e82 M Sport Project

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Twenny 
#1 ·
Been on here for a few weeks now and been able to find out a good amount of useful information on the 1 series. Thought that I'd create myself a post to track progress of my own 1 series project that I bought a few weeks back...

So, she's a 2010 120d e82 M Sport. From what I can gather, pretty usual spec right now. Not sure what the optional extras are on these as this is my first delve into the BMW world. I do have a 2006 Mini Cooper S too, but that's less BMW and more Rover at that stage...

Anyhow, I bought the car as a Cat D write off. A light tap up the rear and a bump in the front. Rear needed a new tail light and bumper. Front is a little worse than it looks but still totally repairable. From my experience I'd say that there were other costs involved apart from the repair costs. I actually bought it from a guy that had already had the rear repair work carried out but had run out of money and with Christmas coming up needed cash desperately.

This is the car as I bought her...

My mate and I have bought a number of Cat D's over the years and typically carry out all the repair work apart from paint; but this time we both have projects that need quite a bit so decided to give it a go.

First we started with the drivers sill. I noticed that it had a number of deep scuffs and scratches which I wasn't going to be happy with. As a low level part of the car it made sense to start with that. I don't have any "before" pictures but this is how the sill came out after painting:

Actually looks even better in real life than in the photo. Just a couple tiny bits landed in the lacquer but nothing a mop and polish wont fix. The finish you see is gun finish - not polished yet.

After successfully painting the sill, next up was the front bumper. This picture shows some of the damage to the bumper and bonnet:

The headlight is also broken and also the air duct behind the kidney grills. So, off came the front bumper:

And the bumper repairs started!

Again, not too many pictures in between. You get all dusty doing it and also concentrating on the repair rather than taking lots of pictures! Here is the bumper painted:

Really pleased with the bumper and there isn't a sign that its been repaired at all. Looks stunning. Fresh from the buzz of our achievements we put the bumper indoors and pulled the front of the car into the garage:

A few hours later and voi la! One repaired bonnet...

I'm away on business at the moment, so work has stopped on the project. Due to return this weekend and am looking forward to getting some colour put back on the bonnet!

Few other things planned for the car. It has the standard half leather interior right now, however I've managed to source a full red leather interior with front heated seats. I have heated Recaro's in the Mini and they are lovely in the winter, so were a must on my modding list. I also want to lower it slightly and change the wheels for either 18's or 19's. Looking at other BMW's to see what might look good and/or fit. Thinking about wheels from the later F22 but any other ideas would be most welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's been a while since my last post, but a lot has been going on with Project82.

In my last post we'd got to the stage where the bonnet had been repaired and primed, ready to be painted. A couple weeks ago we took it off the car and bought it into the garage to paint. Here is the bonnet after the last coat of lacquer had gone on and started to harden...

With the bonnet painted, it was time to rebuild the front end of the car.

Here she is with a new pair of headlights and a new kidney grill air duct fitted (replaces the old damaged one)...

With all these things, you get carried away during the build, so the next photo isn't until the front end was fully rebuilt...

Lights on and new shortie number plate temporarily placed on...

Next up to be painted was the rear bumper. This was more cosmetic than anything else. As we had the paint available it seemed daft to spend time trying to carry out lots and lots of little corrections to the paintwork. There were hundreds of marks and scratches all over it, so a quick flat back and re-paint was the easiest and quickest option. Again, here is the rear bumper after painting...

Meanwhile, as my mate is actually doing all the painting work, I thought I would take a day to remove the old interior and fit the new full leather one that I had purchased...

This was the old interior...

Old interior all removed. Man, under the seats was grubby!

That's better - cleaned up...

Rear seats and cards fitted...

Passenger door card fitted...

By the time that I had fitted the front seats and driver's door card it was getting dark so the photos did not come out too well. Will post some photos of the completed interior when I can...

So, this weekend just gone, my mate was able to paint the remaining parts for the car. These were: rear bumper insert, bootlid spoiler and side skirt. Again, these were just cosmetic (apart from the spoiler which was new).

Here they are after painting...

Close up of the side skirt...

Close up of the rear bumper insert...

And close up of the spoiler...

Rear bumper and insert all fitted to the car...

And finally able to fit the new dark line rear lights. Here she is all done, with the exception of the boot spoiler which will be fitted after I have mopped and polished the whole car...

Next up is wheels, suspension and stance. Plans are to fit 261m alloys, drop her on Eibach springs and push the wheels out 10-15mm. Would also like to find some blinds to go in the back to give the windows that tinted look, but be able to remove them during the winter...

#3 ·
Looking sweet wats up after the rims. REMAP I bet lol wich depos u put in v1 or v2 mate. wats the output like on the low beams.

#5 ·
Wow good job there mate [emoji1]

This is the second coupe that I've missed saying welcome today so not sure how that has happened but anyway welcome and hope you enjoy what looks like a great buy [emoji1]

261's? Great choice but then I'm biased lol

If you're going to lower on eibachs? Will look very very nice but 10-12mm spacers would probably be the limit without rolling the arches. I have 12mm all round and it's fine no rubbing on M sport suspension and springs. Although tyres could make the difference wether they fit or not (plenty of threads on tyre and arches and eibachs on this forum.........plenty)

Darklines? Awesome [emoji1] best upgrade/modification to my car apart from the remap.

Look forward to your updates as you realise the potential of the E82 and this forums innate ability to spend your money [emoji1]

E82 2010 125i modded by babybmw.net

#6 ·
Ian83w said:
Looking sweet wats up after the rims. REMAP I bet lol wich depos u put in v1 or v2 mate. wats the output like on the low beams.
Thank you. Yeh, I am thinking of getting it remapped. Need to do some research first though. Want to find out more about these N47 engines and the issues they can suffer. I don't want a remap to cause additional stress on the engine. I would also like to prevent any issues arising by carrying out preventative work if that is possible...

I went for the v2 depo's in the end. I spent a lot of time looking around but decided I wanted the brighter lights. Also, in my mind, the second generation of something "should" be better than the first. I spoke to the guy at CarModShop and he said that they haven't had any problems with the v2's. I'm not sure on the light levels that they produce at night as I haven't put the car on the road yet. I want to get all the other bits of paintwork sorted first...

Robfo said:
Great work!
Good choice on the interior colour. In the pics the paint looks floorless. :)
Thanks - I think the Red & Black combo really set it off. The paintwork is pretty good; couple very minor blemishes where bits have landed in the lacquer but I will be denibbing and polishing the whole car in the next couple of weeks so all this will be taken care of...

Twenny said:
Wow good job there mate [emoji1]

This is the second coupe that I've missed saying welcome today so not sure how that has happened but anyway welcome and hope you enjoy what looks like a great buy [emoji1]

261's? Great choice but then I'm biased lol

If you're going to lower on eibachs? Will look very very nice but 10-12mm spacers would probably be the limit without rolling the arches. I have 12mm all round and it's fine no rubbing on M sport suspension and springs. Although tyres could make the difference wether they fit or not (plenty of threads on tyre and arches and eibachs on this forum.........plenty)

Darklines? Awesome [emoji1] best upgrade/modification to my car apart from the remap.

Look forward to your updates as you realise the potential of the E82 and this forums innate ability to spend your money [emoji1]

E82 2010 125i modded by babybmw.net
Thank you. I am really pleased with the car so far. Haven't really had much chance to drive it yet, but looking forward to being able to. Currently drive a 2006 MINI, so I am sure that its going to be a lot different to that!

Thanks for the advice on the spacers. I wasn't too sure what would be possible. Think I will go with 10mm spacers to be on the safe side with the tyres. Hoping to fit Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's all round; have had 3 sets of these on different cars and they are amazing.

Oh yes, I have certainly discovered this forum's ability to spend my hard earned! Despite finally finding a set of 261m's and having them refurbished at the moment (pics to follow) I have seen Eddd's e82 and love the Zito ZL935s that he is running!! May have to run the 261's for a few months and then in the summer look to get some Zito's...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.