Lippo's 120d SE Coupe with added BT, CC, Leather & Depo DRLs

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Lippo's 120d SE Coupe with added BT, CC, Leather & Depo DRLs

Post by Lippo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi there,

Bought my 08 120d SE Coupe in graphite grey yesterday. New to beemer ownership, moved up from a Seat Ibiza 1.9 Tdi FR130 (remapped etc). It's a great car, great handling on the road, decent bit of poke as well.

Got a few ideas to improve the car, starting with binning the terrible OEM speakers!

Craig
Last edited by Lippo on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
120d SE Coupe, Sparkling Graphite Grey. Added BMW Bluetooth, Full Leather Interior, Cruise Control, 261M's, Digital Speedo & Depo LED DRL's
My Ride

dubdemand
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Lippo's 120d SE Coupe

Post by dubdemand » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Looks good mate, the standard speakers aren't too bad if you go for the Alpine upgrade which provides speakers / tweeters and amp. Plenty of info on here if you do a search.

My last car was a seat too 8)
E88 125i and F31 330d

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure my speakers are standard. The sound lacks any warmth and is a bit tinny. In the process of transferring my Alpine amp and little sub into the boot.

I've had a good look on the forum for suitable rear parcel shelf speakers but not sure what I need. Also looking at how best to connect and position my IPhone in the cabin.

I'm trying to resist the remap route at the moment :wink:
120d SE Coupe, Sparkling Graphite Grey. Added BMW Bluetooth, Full Leather Interior, Cruise Control, 261M's, Digital Speedo & Depo LED DRL's
My Ride

Ant
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Ant » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 pm

get a professional headunit and the sound will change beyond all belief over the silly buiness headunit
Some 2.0 Civic thing

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:15 pm

Well, started doing a few bits with the speakers; bought some 4" Alpine speakers and lobbed them into the parcel shelf;

I've already got the Professional radio in the car and ordered a generic Iphone adapter. Quite like the USB socket though. Loaded some tunes onto a memory stick and the Pro reads it straight away and remembers track position. Nice. Just need to grow a set to get the courage to remove the door cards to replace the mid speakers with something better. Either that or change the subs....
My Ride

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Next minor step was getting a Y cable for my Iphone. Bought this one for £6.19; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 666wt_1139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does the same as the BMW one at a fraction of the price. Best thing is, I plug the USB connector into a 12v cig lighter adapter, plug that into the cig lighter next to the USB and aux port and I can still plug in my 8gb memory stick with my tunes on.

Edit; As mentioned below - it doesn't do what the genuine BMW lead does!!
Last edited by Lippo on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Ride

b1g1an
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by b1g1an » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:40 am

That cable looks like one of the cheapo ones that only charges through the USB despite the claims and is obviously how you use it. Have you tried using it as intended so you have control of the iPhone?

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:12 pm

b1g1an wrote:That cable looks like one of the cheapo ones that only charges through the USB despite the claims and is obviously how you use it. Have you tried using it as intended so you have control of the iPhone?
Yes, I plug it in once the engine's started and it charges the phone. It also plays my music/podcasts through the Pro unit when I select Aux. Should it do something more? BTW, for the moment I still have the 8gb USB stick in the USB port. The Iphone is charged using a 12v to USB converter. All works fine.
My Ride

b1g1an
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by b1g1an » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:20 am

If it worked like the BMW cable when you plugged the USB into the USB socket it should come up as iPod on the head unit and you'd have control of it through both the head unit and the steering wheel.

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:04 pm

b1g1an wrote:If it worked like the BMW cable when you plugged the USB into the USB socket it should come up as iPod on the head unit and you'd have control of it through both the head unit and the steering wheel.
Yes, you're right, it doesn't seem to do that. However, I don't need the cable to do that anyway. I'll be using tomtom on the iphone and don't want the head unit interfering with that. Also, the navigation system for tracks on the Pro isn't very good, so I prefer using the Iphone. The cable doesn't seem to charge when plugged into the USB socket, but again, I'm using my 8gb memory stick in that and have the Iphone USB plugged into a little 12v to USB converter. Quite neat really.

If you want what BigIan has described, don't get this cable.
My Ride

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Latest update; fitted my old small sub into the boot. Had this in my old Ibiza. The enclosure was originally larger, but to space on space I took the electric jigsaw to it and made it smaller and rectangular.

Use the RCA to phono device that Lakota recommended - it makes its own remote signal which is handy. Pics here;

The wiring is fairly tidy, just need to secure a couple of bits and bobs. Checked the remote lead and the amp does turn itself off after about 30 seconds.

I've only just tested it but the sound is definitely better, obviously more bass, well delivered with no distortion.

Update; there's no distortion because the rear speakers have a high pass filter, so the amp and sub aren't receiving any low frequencies. Looks like I'll have to take a feed from one or both of the subs under the front seats.
Last edited by Lippo on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Ride

b1g1an
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by b1g1an » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Lippo wrote:
b1g1an wrote:If it worked like the BMW cable when you plugged the USB into the USB socket it should come up as iPod on the head unit and you'd have control of it through both the head unit and the steering wheel.
Yes, you're right, it doesn't seem to do that. However, I don't need the cable to do that anyway. I'll be using tomtom on the iphone and don't want the head unit interfering with that. Also, the navigation system for tracks on the Pro isn't very good, so I prefer using the Iphone. The cable doesn't seem to charge when plugged into the USB socket, but again, I'm using my 8gb memory stick in that and have the Iphone USB plugged into a little 12v to USB converter. Quite neat really.

If you want what BigIan has described, don't get this cable.
Thanks for clearing it up, didn't want people thinking it was a massive bargain if they wanted the full functionality of the factory one.

You also found the other failing of the USB socket, it's a feeble 500ma one so won't charge the latest smart phones.

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Lippo's 120d SE Coupe

Post by Lippo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Just finished rewiring the feed to the sub. It was so easy, I should have done it this way in the first place.

Removed the sills, located the sub connectors, tapped into the wiring and fed it back through under the carpet into the boot.

I can definitively say that the rear speakers on my 2008 E82 had the bass filtered out. Now I've got the signal from the subs, the bass is much improved.
My Ride

b3rto

Post by b3rto » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 am

Nice little install there mate...

R

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Lippo's 120d SE Coupe

Post by Lippo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 pm

Cheers b3rto. Next step will be to change the door speakers to something better, more than likely Alpines.

Today I changed the gearbox oil with Redline MTL and the diff oil for the Redline stuff. The gear change is definitely better mainly because it's less notchy.

Cruise control in the next few weeks :)
My Ride

Return to “Members Cars”