Blue Shadow- godzilla's M140i Shadow Edition

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Blue Shadow- godzilla's M140i Shadow Edition

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Nah, again, I like the contrast and it marks it out to those in the know as an M.
If I was being OCD about it, I might consider wrapping the dark grey bit of the rear bumper as that doesn't match anything else on the car.
But not bothered about it at the moment.

What would you say was the single best handling mod you've made?
Getting an LSD, but are the M4 LCAs really worth doing? I definitely want more front camber and maybe get a bit more castor too.
Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,
full Akrapovic, M4 LCAs, Quaife

Watch my YouTube vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidYu2007

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:12 pm

A couple of quick vids.

Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:51 pm

godzilla wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:02 pm
Getting an LSD, but are the M4 LCAs really worth doing? I definitely want more front camber and maybe get a bit more castor too.
We're ('Royal we' - Sam actually) is doing some M4 LCA testing with his G meter + lap timer at Brands Hatch tomorrow (with any luck); so we should be able to give you come reasonably accurate/repeatable before and after metrics.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

D6EML
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by D6EML » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Looking good that 8)
M140i / SB / AUTO / 15mm HR / CARBON SPOILER / MAXTON KIT / AUTOID CAPS / M4 COMP REPS

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:51 pm
godzilla wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:02 pm
We're ('Royal we' - Sam actually) is doing some M4 LCA testing with his G meter + lap timer at Brands Hatch tomorrow (with any luck); so we should be able to give you come reasonably accurate/repeatable before and after metrics.
I'd be very interested in seeing the results of that.
Just because a lot of people have done a certain mod, that doesn't automatically make it effective.
Testing it will prove the case or not.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Sadly it didn't happen, no room on track, fully booked.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Dange20
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Dange20 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Im going to buy this, but anyone no how to dit them? Including spoiler?
2017 M140 Shadow Edition-Tinted Windows-Maxton Blades-Maxton Splitter-3D Spoiler-White-Mperformance Exhaust-M4style-Mirrors-Dynamic indicators-Gloss-Black-Diffuser

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:23 pm

godzilla wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 pm

I'd be very interested in seeing the results of that.
Just because a lot of people have done a certain mod, that doesn't automatically make it effective.
Testing it will prove the case or not.
I stand corrected, Sam did manage to get on track in the afternoon apparently.

No significant step-change in lap time, just a little less outer edge scrub.

http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=195

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:14 am

I've made a brief video about the new goodies TRL's team fitted to my car on Wednesday.
Really transforms the interior!

Phil from Cotswold BMW Cheltenham sorted out the gorgeous M Performance steering wheel for me, along with the M4 LCAs which will be fitted by Litchfield in a couple of weeks.

He also supplied the BMW Go Pro headrest mount and arm, which I will try out shortly.
I am acutely aware that my three videos so far have not featured me driving or even switching the engine on, which is not my normal style of video! :lol:

TRL ordered me the M Performance gearknob, handbrake and pedal covers, along with the underbody brace that Litchfield will also fit for me.

Many thanks to those two diamond geezers and the workshop team at Berry BMW Heathrow who fitted these interior parts for me.

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 am

Great thread David :)

It’s such a small world :)

Yes, as Marco said I tested mine with the M4 lca’s At brands and it went quicker.

My results:
Totally stock 56.6
With lsd. 56.6
With lsd M4 arms/pads and negative camber on back 56.0/55.8 without/with slipstream.

Interestingly, with the M4 lca’s Etc and on westlake RS tyres I couldn’t go as quick at snetterton, was over a second slower compared to the stock car with lsd. Think this may be because the pads were worn (they’ve done 15 laps of ring, 2x brands hatch and 2 x snetterton), will go back for another try soon. If they let me!

Thanks for the vids, look forward to watching them with sound later :)
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:43 pm

git-r2 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 am
Great thread David :)

It’s such a small world :)

Yes, as Marco said I tested mine with the M4 lca’s At brands and it went quicker.

My results:
Totally stock 56.6
With lsd. 56.6
With lsd M4 arms/pads and negative camber on back 56.0/55.8 without/with slipstream.

Interestingly, with the M4 lca’s Etc and on westlake RS tyres I couldn’t go as quick at snetterton, was over a second slower compared to the stock car with lsd. Think this may be because the pads were worn (they’ve done 15 laps of ring, 2x brands hatch and 2 x snetterton), will go back for another try soon. If they let me!

Thanks for the vids, look forward to watching them with sound later :)
That is strange, I would have thought the tyres would be more important than the pads, provided they've still got material left, which I'm surprised they still have! :lol:

But to be honest, timing yourself on a normal track day is pretty hit and miss with traffic etc.

Interesting that the LSD didn't make any difference at Brands though. Do you run DTC Off all the time? I wonder how the built in "e-diff" deals with the presence of a physical ATB diff? Not something it would be prepared for, I would have thought...

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:57 am

Agreed, I thought the tyres were going to make a big difference but the MPSS give such good grip for a road tyre I don’t think the westlakes offer much over them.
Trying to get times at snett is particularly difficult, such a long track it’s more likely than not to get held up.

The elsd work ok in my experience, it’s only on the longer and faster corners it suffers, slow stuff or wet didn’t seem an issue although I only had the car a month on the stock diff. Not sure exactly what happens with the updated lsd, doesn’t feel like it’s a problem and apparently when bmw fit the lsd they don’t code out the elsd.
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 am

Ps thanks for the vids - looking forward to more updates and to see what you do performance wise.
Interior mods look great other than the hand brake cover - lol it looks a bit lose lol!
+ some dullness

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:13 pm

It's been a while since I updated this thread, so here's what's been done since my last post.

I took Blue Shadow to Litchfield, where they fitted:
- Full Akrapovic Evolution cat-back exhaust
- Akrapovic sport cat
- Quaife ATB diff
- rear underbody brace (supplied by Cotswold BMW Cheltenham)
- M4 LCAs (ditto)

I will eventually get round to editing the video of those mods, but here are some highlights.
Litchfield are one of the few UK shops to have a Maha rolling road, widely acknowledged to be one of the most accurate in the industry and the ones lots of manufacturers use.
They dynoed the car stock (with only 1500 miles on the clock) and it recorded a modest (relative to some other claims) 348hp and a surprisingly low 355lb.ft of torque.
They then bolted the Akro sport cat and system on and it recorded an astonishing increase to 366hp and 374ib.ft. I doubt any fully TUV compliant system could beat that. Same day, same dyno, same operator.

The sound is beautiful, especially compared to the far too quiet standard system. It's not overly loud, but deep toned and sporty, with lots of pops and crackles on the overrun in Sport/Sport+ (or DTC mode).
I've had Akrapovic on two cars before this (GT-R and 500 Abarth) and their quality, engineering and genuine power increases are beyond comparison IMO.
The signature carbon pipes are exquisite as is all the unseen welding.

The Quaife has made probably the single biggest difference to the behaviour of the car. Predictable, controllable oversteer on demand, better traction when required, and it has made DTC and Sport+ usable modes as the car's nannies now only interfere when you go beyond a good quarter to a half of oppo. TC Off is a real hoot on track. This is why I chose a RWD car.

The M4 LCAs massively improved front end turn-in and added some welcome castor, making the car much more positive on track. Hugely reduces the ridiculous outer front shoulder tyre wear the standard M-Lites suffer from.

Less seriously, I recently added a £6 red start/stop button from eBay and fitted it myself in less than 5 minutes. Nice cosmetic addition that livens up the interior a touch.

More seriously, with no sign of B58 ECU cracking on the horizon, I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2nd hand JB4 complete with EWG and Bluetooth module from a member of the "BMW M135i M140i M235i M240i UK" Facebook group and booked myself in with BW Chiptune to get it installed.
Unfortunately, after Chris (Jason's son) had been working on it most of the day, he declared the JB4 unit itself dead.
It had briefly connected, but with lots of error codes, then died altogether. It couldn't be rebooted or reset to factory, just completely non-responsive.
I contacted the seller who simply stated it had worked fine when on his car. He had bought it new in September 2017, so it was only 8 months old, so I assumed the 12 month warranty would still apply.
But when I contacted Burger Motorsport they said it only applied to the original purchaser, so I was basically sh1t out of luck.

On Chris' advice, I bought a new JB4 and EWG harness (in case the harness had caused the box failure) from Marshall at ML Performance who got it to BW the next day, along with an AFE dry panel air filter.
Another half day spent at BW and Chris got it all installed and set up.
BW have a Dyno Dynamics rolling road on the premises and the results speak for themselves:

Note the base run was virtually identical to the figure recorded at Litchfield, so it can be taken that BW's rolling road is pretty accurate and shares similar "heartbreaker" status for those chasing high numbers for their own sake.
Oh and of course, literally about 2 days after I bought the JB4, it was announced that somebody had finally cracked the B58 ECU and full remaps are imminent...

One weird thing that happened was that immediately following that install, and probably no fault of anyone there, the handbrake stopped working.
It simply wouldn't engage no matter how high you pulled the lever.
I was not overly concerned as I thought, "fine, before I get it fixed, I'll just park it in 1st or reverse". But that evening, I went to pick up my daughter from school and had to park it on a sloping car park. Put it in 1st, started reading evo magazine sat in the car and looked up in shock 5 minutes later to find the car had rolled 4 or 5 feet without me noticing or feeling any movement! :shock:
Reverse had the same effect. Even on a modest slope, the weight of the car would very, very slowly turn the engine over. But so slowly you would not notice, so doubly dangerous.

I was booked to go with TRL on his filming trip to Wales, so the wonderful service team at Berry BMW Heathrow, prodded by service advisor Ellie, managed to get the handbrake sorted at very short notice. It turned out it had gone into "service mode", i.e. had basically disconnected itself, which normally only happens after severe abuse. I wouldn't mind if I'd been doing e-brake drifts, but I promise, I hadn't been!

Fully sorted, we had a fantastic time in Wales, which TRL and others will be covering shortly.

Finally for this update, I got back from Wales late last night to find a parcel from eBay waiting for me.
I'd be toying with changing the door mirror covers for the M style ones, but as I don't (surprisingly for me) have any exterior carbon on the car, I didn't want carbon. To match with the whole Shadow Edition theme and tie in with the gloss black wheels and Maxton bodykit, I found a set of mirror covers on eBay in gloss black.
Having seen that AutoID sell their versions for £150, I thought I'd take a punt on this set for £43 and guess what? They fit and look great!
I fitted them myself having watched a couple of YouTube vids and it took around 10 minutes.

I think they transform the look of the car and match the black accents perfectly.

Oh yeah, and I found a nice new reg number... ;)

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Great update Dave 👍

That must be a bit of a beast with all that power, must get some times done to see how much it’s improved!

Does Ian do much with the baby m’s?

Why didn’t you get him to tune it?
+ some dullness

Return to “Members Cars”