Baby BMW Forum banner

Improving the oem soundsystem

3K views 42 replies 8 participants last post by  jonners 
#1 ·
Hi there I've host brought a 2004 m sport 118d for Commuting.

The sOundle system is quite crap especially when I had the upgraded loud speaker one in my previous 2010.

Would i need to change head unit and speakers? Would halfords me a good choice?

Cheers

#2 ·
If it were me I would get a professional BMW head-unit based on the assumption that your car doesn't have this already and then upgrade the front speakers and tweeters to HK OR MB Quart followed by a nice subwoofer in the boot.

Not really a fan of aftermarket systems. Ruins the look of the BMW dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Anish1993 said:
If it were me I would get a professional BMW head-unit based on the assumption that your car doesn't have this already and then upgrade the front speakers and tweeters to HK OR MB Quart followed by a nice subwoofer in the boot.

Not really a fan of aftermarket systems. Ruins the look of the BMW dash.

Thanks mate. Just checked I do have the professional unit. Although the display is started to fade so might buy another. Where would I get them speakers from and are they a simple fit? Cheers

#4 ·
The fading problem is common across all E ranges..

Had the same issue. I just lived with it.

HK speakers can be bought on eBay second hand or new from cotsworld forum sponsor.

They're usually plug and play but make sure to cross reference part numbers.

#13 ·
Do you definitely have tweeters or just the holes there?

If you want an aftermarket unit you need a fascia as well as the stalk control loom and stereo patch lead.

If you're going for Double DIN then you need to cut out the inside of the dash to allow a Double DIN to fit. Double DIN doesn't fit in Pre-LCI cars as the space isn't big enough for a Double DIN and the heater controls UNLESS you fit facelift lower dash panels.

#14 ·
Sonic1506 said:
Do you definitely have tweeters or just the holes there?

If you want an aftermarket unit you need a fascia as well as the stalk control loom and stereo patch lead.

If you're going for Double DIN then you need to cut out the inside of the dash to allow a Double DIN to fit. Double DIN doesn't fit in Pre-LCI cars as the space isn't big enough for a Double DIN and the heater controls UNLESS you fit facelift lower dash panels.
Hi sonic I have mesh grills where the tweeters should be. Do you mean potentially there might not actually be speakers behind this? Cheers

#15 ·
Osk118d said:
Hi sonic I have mesh grills where the tweeters should be. Do you mean potentially there might not actually be speakers behind this? Cheers
Hello :).

Yes, potentially no tweeter behind it. Get a torch or light and shine it on the grill to see if there is a tweeter behind it. In my 2010 M Sport I had the grills, but no tweeters behind it. I have fitted Gladen 201BMW Normals in place of the OEM speakers, Added in a underseat sub enclosure from a E91 and amped it all on a JL Audio XD400/4.

Tweeters are 1".
Door mid speakers are 4" (shallowish mount I believe).
Underseat subs are 8" shallow mount.

#16 ·
#17 ·
#18 ·
They are meant to be designed from MB Quart design, so the seller says.

Name me a track you'd like to hear, and i'll show a sample of the setup.

Just a shame Phones are pants for recording bass, but will do my absolute best.

#19 ·
jonners said:
They are meant to be designed from MB Quart design, so the seller says.

Name me a track you'd like to hear, and i'll show a sample of the setup.

Just a shame Phones are pants for recording bass, but will do my absolute best.
Whatever track you think sounds best :). I heard a set of Focals amped and a JL13TW5 over the weekend with the OEM headunit in a E93 335i, sounded amazing. I knew that little sub pounded but blew me away with how impressive it was! Definitely going to get one in my car. Hopefully I can fit two in there with the space left after my air install. Probably be very very tight!

#21 ·
jonners said:
Will my tastes are probably different to yours.

You decide and I will do it today :D

Fingers crossed for you.
I can definitely fit one in, two might be a squeeze but I kinda want to switch up my boot build anyway so let's see. I'm honestly not sure lol, I listen to anything and everything :). Mostly RnB/Hip Hop/Drum n Bass/House.

#22 ·
Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB
OE Audio Component Speakers 100.2
OE Audio Under Seat Subwoofers 8" x2
Planet Audio 12" Sub
Pioneer 8601 Monoblock - Drives the Planet Audio Sub
Pioneer 8604 4 Channel - Drives the Components and Under Seat Subs x2

Darude - Sandstorm

Excuse the tatty Wallet, I know I need a new one :lol2:

Anyhow let me know your thoughts.

#23 ·
jonners said:
Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB
OE Audio Component Speakers 100.2
OE Audio Under Seat Subwoofers 8" x2
Planet Audio 12" Sub
Pioneer 8601 Monoblock - Drives the Planet Audio Sub
Pioneer 8604 4 Channel - Drives the Components and Under Seat Subs x2

Darude - Sandstorm

Excuse the tatty Wallet, I know I need a new one :lol2:

Anyhow let me know your thoughts.
Will have a listen this evening at home and reply properly :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.