E87 Head Unit help!

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

DanSteptoe

E87 Head Unit help!

Post by DanSteptoe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:01 pm

First post

I have recently bought a 2011 1 series 120d m sport after selling my mk5 golf. In the golf I had a Pioneer sph-da120 which i took out before selling with the view to put in the 1 series.

I was wondering if anyone had the sph-da120 in theirs as I have a few questions.

Are steering wheel controls compatable with the unit?

Will I be able to install a reverse camera or have the radar appear on the screen?
What are the capabilities of the unit?

Is it possible to keep the computer features such as mpg/avg speed/range.
If not can they be retained elsewhere in the car? On the dash? A seperate device?

Will i need to do any cutting to make room for the unit as it is double din. I have found a suitable fascia but I don’t want to go ahead if it means cutting away at things unless I am able to return the car to its current state if I was to sell.

Am I able to modify the aux in slot below the center armrest for a usb cable?

Any help would be appreciated, if anyone has this unit or can answer!

I don’t want to spend out on a new unit but at the same time, if this unit is not suitable for my apple car play needs, there is no point installing!

Thanks

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E87 Head Unit help!

Post by Twenny » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:50 pm

DanSteptoe wrote:First post

I have recently bought a 2011 1 series 120d m sport after selling my mk5 golf. In the golf I had a Pioneer sph-da120 which i took out before selling with the view to put in the 1 series.

I was wondering if anyone had the sph-da120 in theirs as I have a few questions.

Are steering wheel controls compatable with the unit?

Will I be able to install a reverse camera or have the radar appear on the screen?
What are the capabilities of the unit?

Is it possible to keep the computer features such as mpg/avg speed/range.
If not can they be retained elsewhere in the car? On the dash? A seperate device?

Will i need to do any cutting to make room for the unit as it is double din. I have found a suitable fascia but I don’t want to go ahead if it means cutting away at things unless I am able to return the car to its current state if I was to sell.

Am I able to modify the aux in slot below the center armrest for a usb cable?

I don’t want to spend out on a new unit but at the same time, if this unit is not suitable for my apple car play needs, there is no point installing!

Thanks
Sorry, I can’t help but hope you get it sorted ASAP.

My guess is no it won’t work, or not without some jiggery pokery anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 am

DanSteptoe wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:01 pm
First post

Are steering wheel controls compatable with the unit? Yes, if you have the correct stalk control loom and patch lead, you will need a complete fitting kit which will set you back approx £120ish. I have a Double DIN with Fitting Kit and a Pioneer Patch lead for sale, I can split the fitting kit if you are interested. I had a Pioneer AVIC-F80DAB in mine.

Will I be able to install a reverse camera or have the radar appear on the screen? SPH-DA120 can have a reversing camera. You need the Pioneer ND-BC8 camera.
What are the capabilities of the unit? See link here for unit: https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/sph-da120

Is it possible to keep the computer features such as mpg/avg speed/range. Yes, this works as normal where it appears near the clocks.
If not can they be retained elsewhere in the car? On the dash? A seperate device? See above.

Will i need to do any cutting to make room for the unit as it is double din. I have found a suitable fascia but I don’t want to go ahead if it means cutting away at things unless I am able to return the car to its current state if I was to sell. Yes, you need to cut the inside of the dash out to fit the Double DIN, it can be returned to stock after, I have done the same, i.e. had a Double DIN and now returned it back to stock.

Am I able to modify the aux in slot below the center armrest for a usb cable? You can buy a new section where it has USB/Aux from BMW IIRC or you can custom mount the USB there. Near the top of the centre console (where the aux port/arm rest is), there is a removable bit of plastic, you can run the wire under the centre console and put it through there.

Thanks
See my replies in red.

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:41 am

Sonic1506 wrote:
DanSteptoe wrote:
First post

Are steering wheel controls compatable with the unit? Yes, if you have the correct stalk control loom and patch lead, you will need a complete fitting kit which will set you back approx £120ish. I have a Double DIN with Fitting Kit and a Pioneer Patch lead for sale, I can split the fitting kit if you are interested. I had a Pioneer AVIC-F80DAB in mine.

Will I be able to install a reverse camera or have the radar appear on the screen? SPH-DA120 can have a reversing camera. You need the Pioneer ND-BC8 camera.
What are the capabilities of the unit? See link here for unit: https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/sph-da120

Is it possible to keep the computer features such as mpg/avg speed/range. Yes, this works as normal where it appears near the clocks.
If not can they be retained elsewhere in the car? On the dash? A seperate device? See above.

Will i need to do any cutting to make room for the unit as it is double din. I have found a suitable fascia but I don’t want to go ahead if it means cutting away at things unless I am able to return the car to its current state if I was to sell. Yes, you need to cut the inside of the dash out to fit the Double DIN, it can be returned to stock after, I have done the same, i.e. had a Double DIN and now returned it back to stock.

Am I able to modify the aux in slot below the center armrest for a usb cable? You can buy a new section where it has USB/Aux from BMW IIRC or you can custom mount the USB there. Near the top of the centre console (where the aux port/arm rest is), there is a removable bit of plastic, you can run the wire under the centre console and put it through there.

Thanks
See my replies in red.
Best concise and helpful reply to a post I’ve seen in a while. Nice one Sonic. Nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

DanSteptoe

Post by DanSteptoe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 am
DanSteptoe wrote:
First post

I think I may already have these cables from its previous install, I guess I will play around and if it doesn’t work - look back to the internet!

Sounds good, should do the trick if I decide I need/want it!

These do not appear on my clocks at all, is there a way to code this?

Thanks
See my replies in red.
Thanks Sonic- a few further questions below your responses!

DanSteptoe

Post by DanSteptoe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Nb - I have just worked out how to get the mpg etc on my dash :woohoo:

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:55 pm

DanSteptoe wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:59 pm
I think I may already have these cables from its previous install, I guess I will play around and if it doesn’t work - look back to the internet!

You should have the patch lead but you won't have the BMW Steering Control Loom, you will need this along with the Fascia and possibly the brackets that screw to the side of the Double DIN and then screw into the dash/centre. As I said, I have the whole setup if you need it and happy to sell separately from the unit :)

These do not appear on my clocks at all, is there a way to code this?

Press the BC stalk to cycle through the menu. Where the miles are, you'll see MPG, etc.

Thanks Sonic- a few further questions below your responses!
Few more answers in red.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”