Baby BMW Forum banner

MTX TX6.BMW - Any experiences?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Muaythaimatt95 
#1 ·
About to pull the trigger on the MTX TX6.BMW 3-way Component system to fit in my F21. Anyone have any experience with this kit? I'm only looking at buying it as I believe it's a straight plug and play kit without needing additional fittings etc. Willing to listen to other suggestions as well, I have had a look myself but for sub £300 this is the only kit I could see that includes underseat subwoofers.

Cheers.

#2 ·
I've written a couple of posts about my experiences if fitting this kit to my E87 - I expect they ought to appear if you search.

In short, I think it's a great option, although not quite as plug & play as the Alpine (needs connectors chopping off and joining etc - nothing too tricky)

Tom

#3 ·
Ah, okay. I'm not planning on fitting it myself, I was hoping it was a straight retrofit as it would make getting it fitted cheaper. How's the sound quality compare? Are the subs worth it as I can get a cheaper option if I don't get the subwoofers

#4 ·
I don't think it would be any exaggeration to say the difference in sound quality versus the BMW system is very pronounced indeed. As to whether you really need to replace the subwoofers is probably just a matter of personal preference, and it might be worth remembering that the Alpine upgrade retains the existing subs (but throws more power at them). If you just want punchier treble and much better highs, then the Focal kit would be a bit cheaper.
However, once you've listened to upgraded underseat units it's immediately apparent that their frequency response goes much lower and their bigger drivers move a lot more air - I don't think you could go back to the BMW subs once you've heard what you're missing!

#5 ·
Now that's a response that I like to hear! I honestly did not know that the Alpine kit makes use of the same subwoofers that currently exist in my car, in that case I would definitely prefer a hardware upgrade and change the actual units. I listen to a lot of R&B music which of-course packs a lot of deep bass which is pretty much non-existent with the current system. I had a look at the tweeter grills and the BMW dealer told me that it would not be possible to fit the blank F21 tweeter grills from the HiFi upgrade and only changing for the harmon kardon would be my option. Luckily I haven't heard the HK or the HiFi system in the F20 series so I don't know what I'm missing haha.

#6 ·
I've got these installed in my E82, I rate them highly. I've amplified mine (55W Per channel) and I can say they do sound better than the Alpine system my friend has in his 1er. I guess it depends what you really want out of your system tho, as the others have said Focal ones will give a more full and clearer mid range and high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.