Baby BMW Forum banner

Dash Storage unit & Short Gear knob

4K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  bomber 
#1 ·
Hi all

Well I finally took the plunge and cut a hole in the dash so I could install the dash storage unit which I bought off a fellow member last year. Apart from the initial cut into the dash which must rank as one of the most worrying things I have done, everything went well. Slightly worried when cutting, as the dash started smoking - but all was OK.

Replaced the normal gear knob with the short sports one which also came with a new gaiter. Strangly enough, and contrary to some of the reports on here, the gear knob came off without too much trouble, and I still have an unbroken nose and all my teeth and didn't need the crash helmet!!! :lol2:

Pleased with the way it turned out.
Great to have the forum back on line and thanks to all concerned who did the change over!

See less See more
#4 ·
Well done Paul :thumbs: not all gear knobs come off as easily, ask Marco about mine! :lol2:

Also as your a BMWCC Member, when am i going to see you at a Waterbury meet? :wink:

#6 ·
Blackbmw120d said:
Not if he sees you first :lol2:
It's OK, we've already met at a SE meet, so I'm prepared and will sit in another bar!!

#7 ·
bomber said:
Blackbmw120d said:
Not if he sees you first :lol2:
It's OK, we've already met at a SE meet, so I'm prepared and will sit in another bar!!
I had to keep you away from my carbon while your boss was keeping tabs on your spending ideas :lol2:

#8 ·
Dan116i said:
Also as your a BMWCC Member, when am i going to see you at a Waterbury meet? :wink:
That's about 150 mile round trip for me......possible in the summer tho. Do you ever go to the Watermill Inn in Dorking meet which is held on the 2nd Saturday in the month??

#9 ·
bomber said:
Dan116i said:
That's about 150 mile round trip for me......possible in the summer tho. Do you ever go to the Watermill Inn in Dorking meet which is held on the 2nd Saturday in the month??
I go now and again :) Selwyn runs that one rather than my parents. You'll see me popping up everywhere this year with the introduction of the 1 series register :wink:

#13 ·
Hmmm that storage box looks familiar - well done Paul. :lol2:

How do you find changing gear now that you have a short stick? easier? quicker?

Is that a vent TomTom mount? I gave up on vent mounts after they kept flinging the nav off during any quick stuff, so I solved that by getting a proper Brodit mount (OK, I know I've the CIC pro-nav, bit still use the TT for speed-cam info).

#14 ·
DonH2000 said:
Thanks for quick reply!! Straight up and book a dentist appointment as it hits you in the face!!
Put the car in 2nd gear first before yanking it up! Mine came off fairly easily, others had to argue with it!
Good luck mate

#16 ·
A steady hand, the right tools and nerves of steel and a few whisky's (optional !) and plenty of swearing ( that comes naturally ! ) and don't rush it and you'll be fine. There is nothing below that you can damage.

Pictures when you've done it mate !! :cool2:

#19 ·
Quikrex said:
bomber said:
A steady hand, the right tools and nerves of steel and a few whisky's (optional !) and plenty of swearing ( that comes naturally ! ) and don't rush it and you'll be fine. There is nothing below that you can damage.

Pictures when you've done it mate !! :cool2:
Lol will have a think about it.... Still scared hahaha
The first cut is the worst! :lol2:

#20 ·
If it helps those nervous ones out there, maybe I can post a photo of my original dash (with storage box now rehomed) to show you the construction and detail of the original cutout.

Note: my dash was replaced as part of the CIC retrofit.

#22 ·
If you buy the top storage box from BMW, I think it comes with a template - someone will have one somewhere.

#25 ·
Marco produced that for me and it worked a treat! The worst bit is the first cut into the dash, but if you take your time and don't rush you'll be fine. I bought Red Wizards unit so didn't have a template.
Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.