Baby BMW Forum banner

When VAG rule the world....

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ChrisOllie 
#1 ·
From What Car's listing of the best cars in every sector of the market () they're on good terms with VAG. From 14 categories, WC chose 8 VAGs: 3 Audis, 3 Skodas, 1 Seat and 1 VW. By comparison, BMW's sole entry is in the luxury sector (5 Series).

The write-up for the TT (best coupé) did make me laugh, though.

'Rather cramped'? 'Claustrophobic' or 'barely existent' would have been more apt.

Best coupé? Yes, and if my granny had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

See less See more
#4 ·
VAG clearly pay the journalists the most money.

The one that I use for example was the MK7 Golf R release event. The journalists were somewhere in Scandinavia and drove the car in deep snow, on a test track, with studied winter tyres and all the journalists came back raving about the car and giving 5 star reviews.

How on earth can you even begin to judge a car in such conditions?

There was a program about Rolls Royce last year on the TV. Journalists are by invite only. They are flown across the world, put up in 5 star luxury, food made by Michelin starred chef and treated like royalty.

Who on earth is going to give a negative review and lose out on such luxuries and getting paid work? Im guessing other manufacturers do the very same.

The other issue is often the cars supplied to journalists aren't what we end up buying. Press cars are often built to a higher standard.

#5 ·
I've been ranting about this for a while
It's a total first world problem obviously, bigger worse things happening in the world, but for those of us who are in to cars the bias is an issue.
I think magazines etc should be forced to publish exactly what their revenues are from advertising etc for each brand. It'll never happen but it would certainly shine a light on all of the BS that's clearly going on. VAG's whole lying/cheating NOX emissions disappeared from magazines etc VERY quickly did it not!

The market place should be allowed to be competitive but when you get magazines proclaiming without fail that a VAG car is better than anything else, folk are going to believe it eventually or it's certainly going to sway their purchasing decisions, for example..

Also on the point of launch events etc, Joe Achilles on the forum here does great vids, I've watched all of them I think. His recent ones have included being sent on the BMW 5 series launch, and also various BMW VIP events where he's given the keys to i8's and 7 series etc etc.
Me even watching that vid I'm sitting there thinking hmm, that looks really nice, that must be a great car...I want to buy one! :lol2:

How can anyone in that position possibly go on video and say, nah this car is crap actually! They would just not be invited to anything else ever again (unless they are a suitably big name, like Clarkson or something), and the events look so swanky I'd always want to be invited!
I'm not saying the car isn't good, just saying when you have all this other stuff influencing the situation it must be difficult to be objective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.