Baby BMW Forum banner

130i

7K views 105 replies 23 participants last post by  Locoblade 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a 130i, most likely a LE, my family seem to think it's a silly idea that I want to buy an older car with more mileage than my current car. My current car is 2011 116i with just under 35k on the clock and the 130i LE is a 2007 with 68k on the clock.

I know insurance will be a little more then mine is currently. I'm guessing fuel wise it won't be much different because the 116i is terrible on fuel, I'm lucky to see 350 miles from a full tank.

Is servicing going to be that much more? I know tyres will be more expensive maybe, got run flats right now but if I get a 130i I'll be getting proper tyres which will be cheaper then run flats? Also what's the road tax on a face-lift 130i?

#2 ·
Coming from a 116i myself, the fuel economy is very similar. As you've stated the 116 is awful really, and the difference in performance is vast! (Obviously)..

You may be supeised on the insurance prices, have you looked? I ended up paying the same price for the 130 as I did for the 116!

Servicing isn't much more I don't think, although can't recall service prices on the 116.

And tax on the facelift 130 is £265 for the year

#3 ·
Nothing wrong with buying an older car. Don't be scared of the mileage, the N52 is bullet proof. Obviously there are service items, suspension etc but that's par for the course with any car.

I get around 300 miles to a tank in my LE, 30ish mpg on the clock.

Re servicing, I don't know what servicing costs are on a 116 but the LE won't be that high, it's not a ///M car so doesn't have the added premium. Some things with naturally be more expensive but shouldn't have thought it will be significantly higher.

Road tax I can't remember of hand, find them for sale on auto trader and it will tell you, it's not excessive but will obviously be higher than the 116.

It comes down to this: if you can afford it then do it!! They are a great car, hugely fun with a peach of an engine and for what they offer they are very realistic on running costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I haven't been able to get a proper quote as no one online will give me a quote, I'm assuming it's because I'm young and it's a big engine.

I doubt servicing will be that much more so it shouldn't be so bad. Just the insurance which might be a problem :lol2:

#6 ·
a 130 will cost more to service and especially maintain properly. Big engine sixes are not cheap cars to run and the more miles they have the more likely they are to give problems. I have owned six cylinder BMW's for over 20 years now so have some experience to back this up.If you can't afford it don't buy it there are few things more frustrating than owning a car you can't afford to keep right you end up ruining it for future owners too.

#7 ·
rm1 said:
If you can't afford it don't buy it there are few things more frustrating than owning a car you can't afford to keep right you end up ruining it for future owners too.
^^^ Wise words and completely true.

Try sky, Adrian flux or Chris Knott for insurance

#8 ·
As mentioned the N52 is a great engine and very reliable at that (water pumps can fail, hva's can produce a ticking but this is only an acoustic fault and will not do any harm. The odd ignition coil can fail also but all in all a very good engine)
As for insurance I got my 130i when I was 21 and insurance was very reasonable considering the car. These cars are so under the radar which helps with running costs, and it's also nice to have something different and something that surprises others when they find out what's really inside.
I love my 130i and haven't looked back since buying. It really is a fantastic all rounder without ludicrous maintenance costs

#9 ·
Buy a good one (ie one that's been looked after) and you've very little to worry about reliability or running costs wise.

Mine is 113k miles and 8 years old this month, passed MOT on Monday with 2 advisories - chip in windscreen and front number plate is de laminating. These are the first two comments on any MOT.

Everything is still original mechanically except one full set of discs and pads at 50k and a DSC unit (warranty) at 70k, otherwise just routine services and tyres. Also had a tracker fault fixed under warranty (installation issue, not the cars fault).

Had the HVA noise on and off since I bought the car but it's nothing to worry about. Same with the noisy clutch release bearing at idle.

Averaged 32-33 mpg in the 4 years and 60k I've owned it and still got full a BMW service history (even that is cheap to maintain since most dealers offer decent discounts on servicing older cars). Comprehensive warranty with BMW/Mondial including breakdown and £0 excess is still only £47/month even at 8 years and +100k miles.

Insurance for me is less than £250/year - 43 but that's for 15k miles/year. Tax about £265/year

Prices of good examples have definately firmed up over the last year so I don't think depreciation is something you need worry too much about either.

Fantastic cars!

#10 ·
I can afford to the run car fine. The only big expense will be the insurance and road tax which I can cover as well.

The I've seen LE on the net only so far. Seems to be good condition. Had 3 previous owners, full service history, the sellers stated that the clutch release bearings went so he had them replaced about a month ago, it had a 3 piece clutch and a dual mass flywheel. He's listed it for £9495. Does that seem like a good deal or not?

#12 ·
ben m said:
How many miles? That seems average price from when I brought my LE which was about 6-8 weeks ago.

Nearly 69000

Only problem is, the cars up north so it will be a long trip to go and have a look in case I decide not buy it

#13 ·
You have to travel for the right car... I had to go 2 hours to get my LE, not to bad but also not on my door step. I did do the trip twice though. If you so genuine interest the seller might be willing to help out with a video of it etc to help negate the risk. Worth an ask

#14 ·
I bought a 130i se 3 months ago and absolutely love it. Performance is amazing and always brings a smile to my face. Mines 56 plate with 66k on the clock. Got that for £8300 with quite a high spec. Running costs are high but for the performance I get, pretty decent. but road tax is £500 :(
Only thing I dont like about it is the ridiculously long Ariel which will be gone soon.

e87 130i

#15 ·
I just bought that LE yesterday!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news in my 1st post!

Will start a new thread once I get some pics and few miles done in it. Coming from a V6 TT so thought it would be interesting to do a comparison.

#16 ·
Rarebit said:
I just bought that LE yesterday!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news in my 1st post!

Will start a new thread once I get some pics and few miles done in it. Coming from a V6 TT so thought it would be interesting to do a comparison.
I hate you :evil: :lol2:

The last 2 I've seen got sold now :|

#17 ·
I thought I might as well save you the effort of calling up etc!

I have been looking for a 130 for a while. then spotted this one, so I went a put a deposit down last weekend and went back Saturday to pick it up...170 mile round trip each time, but definitely worth it!

#19 ·
Rarebit said:
I thought I might as well save you the effort of calling up etc!

I have been looking for a 130 for a while. then spotted this one, so I went a put a deposit down last weekend and went back Saturday to pick it up...170 mile round trip each time, but definitely worth it!
Pretty much the same drill I went through with my LE, two trips of roughly the same distance. Worth it though :D

Now the important bit, get a thread up with some pics and details!

#21 ·
#25 ·
b0nn1e said:
I bought a 130i se 3 months ago and absolutely love it. Performance is amazing and always brings a smile to my face. Mines 56 plate with 66k on the clock. Got that for £8300 with quite a high spec. Running costs are high but for the performance I get, pretty decent. but road tax is £500 :(
Only thing I dont like about it is the ridiculously long Ariel which will be gone soon.

e87 130i
£500??
Mines a 2006 se, and it is £290

#26 ·
Rarebit said:
I got it for £9250
It was listed for £9495 wasn't it?

I'm guessing it was in pretty good condition seeing you bought it :lol2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.