Baby BMW Forum banner

Shakey start when cold

9K views 97 replies 11 participants last post by  sonicvanman 
#1 ·
Anybody experience a shakey start when its sub zero temps outside on their diesel motor?

I start the engine as usual and I can feel the car shake from the engine for around 3-4 seconds.
Is it just the engine saying s**t its cold!!!??

#3 ·
Possibly not? Come to think of it, for the first time since I've owned the car when I came to start it on a very cold morning, I saw a glowplug light pop up ok the dash. But havnt seen it since.

Its not like you have to wait for the glow plugs to warm up like on older diesels is it?

#6 ·
This happens to my 118d as well

On the coldest mornings when I start the car all hell feels like it's breaking loose.. I imagine in my mind that the components inside the engine are ice frozen and not lubricated which is probably not the case.

I'm forever paronoid.

I don't know about the condition of my glow plugs I assumed they didn't really need changing until the car struggles to start.. Which I have no issue with my car starts on first touch..

The car shakes on turn off as well.. I read on the Internet it's called dieselling or Something and that it happens to dervs.

#10 ·
My cars exactly the same and I've seen the glow plug warning once, best check for error codes.

I get a little smoke out of the exhaust when starting but does anyone get a exhaust/burning smell through the vents for like 3-4 seconds only on very cold starts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
lRob said:
My cars exactly the same and I've seen the glow plug warning once, best check for error codes.

I get a little smoke out of the exhaust when starting but does anyone get a exhaust/burning smell through the vents for like 3-4 seconds only on very cold starts?

Yes, but I think mine comes from everywhere as the cloud is that big from the rear, pretty much covers the whole front of my house...

#12 ·
smithson said:
lRob said:

Yes, but I think mine comes from everywhere as the cloud is that big from the rear, pretty much covers the whole front of my house...
Seems exactly the same problem as me! I'll check for error codes Friday when I get chance and report back aswell.

I hope it's as simple as a glow plug but I've read the buggers are a pain to change unless you work on a hot engine. Hopefully be able to DIY as glow plugs ain't much to buy.

#14 ·
lRob said:
smithson said:
lRob said:

Seems exactly the same problem as me! I'll check for error codes Friday when I get chance and report back aswell.

I hope it's as simple as a glow plug but I've read the buggers are a pain to change unless you work on a hot engine. Hopefully be able to DIY as glow plugs ain't much to buy.

Now that I think about it, I sure i remember seeing a glowplug error a few months ago when i had my steering angle reset after fitting cruise control

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.