babybmw.net

Discussion forum for the BMW 1 & 2 Series
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: E82 135i BMW Performance Power Kit
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:37 pm 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Just come across this on the interweb:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=UC71&mospid=50607&btnr=11_5052&hg=11&fg=95&lang=nl

No idea what this means, but another search revealed:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588552

First post reads:

"Hi all,

This is a mini review of the BMW Performance Power Kit, Stage 1. I had this kit installed today on my 2012 (N55) 135i M Sport with DCT.

This is the software only version of the PPK. Special pricing is now available on this kit until year end, MSRP now $599.00. The part number for my car was 11 12 2219 489. The kit is really just a software update, and a BMW Performance Power Kit sticker that is applied under the hood. Also, there are ‘warning’ stickers that get applied in various places under the hood to alert technicians to the existence of the kit so they don’t accidentally overwrite it or something during service.

I was in and out of the dealership in about two hours today. The car was hooked up to the ISIS computer almost the whole time. No issues whatsoever though. My dealer gave me a deal on the kit, total price out the door including installation and tax was $728.36.

I obviously only have limited time in the car since the upgrade was performed, but early ‘seat of the pants’ impressions are that it certainly feels like more than a 20hp / 17ft. lb. gain. Throttle response is much improved, and not there was a turbo lag issue before, but now there is literally none. Part of this could be placebo effect having just shelled out the $$$, but I don’t think so. The car feels much more responsive, particularly in Sport and S modes. I also think the new software re-mapped the shift logic in the DCT, gears seem to be held a little longer, and shifts are quicker and crisper. Idle seems a little lumpier perhaps. Also, noticed that oil temperature has increased about 5-10 degrees, no biggie, just an observation. Feels great.

I will report back if I have additional insights. Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade. Money well spent in my book, and having full BMW warranty support is good peace of mind.

Update 9/22/11

Having spend more time in the car, the difference in midrange pull is SUBSTANTIAL. Certainly feels like much more than 17 lb ft gain in torque. Would love to see before and after dyno graphs. I would say BMW's figures are very conservative indeed. Waste gate is working harder, presumably from increased boost. I notice no difference in exhaust note. I think the 'burble' people are referring to is supposed to occur in overrun situations, and I have not faced that yet. For daily driving, no difference."

Nothing yet on the UK BMW site.

(Team Rob...............)

Post subject: Re: E82 135i BMW Performance Power Kit
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:45 pm 
Too Much Time To Waste Member

rjwojcik wrote:
Nothing yet on the UK BMW site.

Hardly surprising.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn at any point that this won't even be available in the UK.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Thought you'd been able to get the full kit for ages so don't see why there would be any problem with getting this part of it.

Whether it's good value for the increase isn't what will bother potential customers, the fact it's a bmw approved product that you could have done to a brand new car with absolutely no concerns about warranty is the attraction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:09 am 

VeeSix wrote:
20bhp for probably what would translate at £700 in the UK is not good VFM.

You can get most ECU/Tuner kits far below that price adding 50bhp!

Given the way BMW underrate the outputs anyway, it's likely to be a 'minimum' of 20hp...... with a bigger torque increase, which is more useful anyway.

On a new car keeping your warranty intact is the point and means it IS VFM.

My experience of other manufacturers 'performance' ECU tunes is that they are always much better than any aftermarket ones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:09 am 

b1g1an wrote:
Thought you'd been able to get the full kit for ages so don't see why there would be any problem with getting this part of it.

Yes the kit for the N54 has been available for ages.

This is for the N55.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:24 am 
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

GeeRam wrote:
VeeSix wrote:

My experience of other manufacturers 'performance' ECU tunes is that they are always much better than any aftermarket ones.

Yep, my experience too !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:40 am 

VeeSix wrote:

Not for a N55 you can't :wink:

The piggy-back Procede or JB things once shipping/import tax etc is added will be close to the 700 quid mark, and the ECU out flashes from DMS/Evolve are around the 900 quid mark. IIRC.
However, I doubt that if BMW do offer the same thing in the UK it won't be at a price that translates to 700 quid :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:57 am 

I think this kit is a pretty good idea as when you do get it mapped properly (worth having a rolling road done just to see what numbers it is putting out) the engine won't be suffering as badly as if it didn't have the kit as air temps are better for the IC and the upgraded fans etc help keep engine bit cooler etc. Chances of BMW noticing it's had a better map are unlikely as they'll just think it's a good running BMWP kit.
There are other ways round that you can DIY but will void certain warranties straight away, also pretty sure this kit works out a lot more than £700 over here if it were it's a blooming bargain!! IC alone is worth £300 (Forge one is over twice that price although nicer), so map and upgraded cooling all for that is very cheap. there's a similar kit for FL 120d although not seen any rolling road figures on those.

120d Msport, Leather, HK 7 Sound, LED plate lights, Goodyear Assym 2, ECOTUNE I flash, 2.5" Downpipe & Exhaust, EGR gone, Modded air intake/box, HG intercooler, Eibach kit, Eibach ARB, powerflex bushes, M3 wishbones, M3 tension arms, BMWP brakes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 am 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

SO8 wrote:
GeeRam wrote:
VeeSix wrote:

Yep, my experience too !

Really. I would get a manufacturer approved remap every day above an aftermarket if it was available, even after warranty, especially if it gets positive reviews. However talented the aftermarket tuners are, they don't full access to all the information and (testing) knowledge that is available, nor do they have acces to all the development tools and parameters that can be adjusted. And even with several rolling road runs, they will not have access to the thorough testing which the orginal manufacturer will do before they sign off the remap.

"Never drive faster than you can see"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:48 pm 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Onehp wrote:
Really. I would get a manufacturer approved remap every day above an aftermarket if it was available, even after warranty, especially if it gets positive reviews. However talented the aftermarket tuners are, they don't full access to all the information and (testing) knowledge that is available, nor do they have acces to all the development tools and parameters that can be adjusted. And even with several rolling road runs, they will not have access to the thorough testing which the orginal manufacturer will do before they sign off the remap.

Sorry but I don't agree with that at all and tbh it comes across as a little bit naive on your part IMO..
I would much rather have someone like DMS/Evolve map my car than some overpriced manufacturer's effort.. Yeah there are some cheap/dodgy maps out there from companies that 'claim' they know what they are doing, but that's normally reflected in the price. So definitely not worth while scrimping when messing with a cars ECU. So always do your homework!!!
Although I have no experience with BMWP ECU upgrade, I would pretty much bet my left arm that it will be a generic map that is just flashed on to any/every car that goes into the workshop for the same treatment by whatever tech is available (model specific of course). Where as when you go with a reputable tuner that does this thing day in, day out, most of them will map it on the rollers and will spend a good few hours fine tuning it to your car.
For example, Rob from DMS and Sal from Evolve would know 10x as much information on tuning a 135i/335i and it's limits than some random BMW tech at your local dealership. Half the time they don't know their arse from their elbows in my experience..
I have had 3 cars mapped now and done over 250,000 miles between them. All by well respected tuners for VAG, BMW etc and I have never had 1 single map related failure within that mileage. Plus all cars were driven hard with countless runs on the 1/4 mile etc and one being modded to 50% more power than it left the factory with..
The only plus side I can see about getting the BMWP software is that you get a supporting warranty. But saying that, i've never had any problems with my previous cars with any main dealers regarding warranty and know of plenty of others too. That's not to say they're all mod friendly though..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:04 pm 
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Now who's being naive, of course the tech who puts the software on your car will know nothing about what's actually happening but the map will have been produced by the factory boffins who created the modern masterpiece that lives under your bonnet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:23 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Sunglasses Ron wrote:
Sorry but I don't agree with that at all and tbh it comes across as a little bit naive on your part IMO..
I would much rather have someone like DMS/Evolve map my car than some overpriced manufacturer's effort.. Yeah there are some cheap/dodgy maps out there from companies that 'claim' they know what they are doing, but that's normally reflected in the price. So definitely not worth while scrimping when messing with a cars ECU. So always do your homework!!!
Although I have no experience with BMWP ECU upgrade, I would pretty much bet my left arm that it will be a generic map that is just flashed on to any/every car that goes into the workshop for the same treatment by whatever tech is available (model specific of course). Where as when you go with a reputable tuner that does this thing day in, day out, most of them will map it on the rollers and will spend a good few hours fine tuning it to your car.
For example, Rob from DMS and Sal from Evolve would know 10x as much information on tuning a 135i/335i and it's limits than some random BMW tech at your local dealership. Half the time they don't know their arse from their elbows in my experience..
I have had 3 cars mapped now and done over 250,000 miles between them. All by well respected tuners for VAG, BMW etc and I have never had 1 single map related failure within that mileage. Plus all cars were driven hard with countless runs on the 1/4 mile etc and one being modded to 50% more power than it left the factory with..
The only plus side I can see about getting the BMWP software is that you get a supporting warranty. But saying that, i've never had any problems with my previous cars with any main dealers regarding warranty and know of plenty of others too. That's not to say they're all mod friendly though..

The car came from the factory with a "generic" map, of course the PPK is the same type. But you provide your VIN when you order it and it's then tied to the VIN for the life of the vehicle. Meaning, if BMW comes out with a software update down the road, they're not going to overwrite the PPK tune like they would an aftermarket one. They'll instead have the software update integrated into the latest PPK tune and you'll get it instead. I plan on ordering the stage 2 before the end of the year for mine, I just need to get some install prices quoted first to make sure BMW UK isn't charging an arm and a leg to fit it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:21 pm 

b1g1an wrote:
Now who's being naive, of course the tech who puts the software on your car will know nothing about what's actually happening but the map will have been produced by the factory boffins who created the modern masterpiece that lives under your bonnet.

Have to agree with that

And Onehp's original statement about factory performance ECU tunes.

Been there, seen it, aftermarket tunes are about a numbers game. There's nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't mean that I wouldn't have a 'good' aftermarket tune, but the reality is that factory is just always better.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:53 pm 

Just as an update on this thread.....

Just been reading a thread on 1Addicts where a guy has had the full BMWP Power kit fitted to his N55 135i and saw a 38hp at the wheels gain over stock on a dyno.........so....... so much for BMW's 20hp extra claim :D

I suspect, BMW claim only 20 for various reasons including insurance reasons.

Given the now easy ability to detect tunes in dealerships with the new BMW ECU readers from the start of this year, I think this is good value (half as much more than DMS/Evolve etc) to keep your warranty intact if your car is relatively new.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:28 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

GeeRam wrote:
Just as an update on this thread.....

Just been reading a thread on 1Addicts where a guy has had the full BMWP Power kit fitted to his N55 135i and saw a 38hp at the wheels gain over stock on a dyno.........so....... so much for BMW's 20hp extra claim :D

I suspect, BMW claim only 20 for various reasons including insurance reasons.

Given the now easy ability to detect tunes in dealerships with the new BMW ECU readers from the start of this year, I think this is good value (half as much more than DMS/Evolve etc) to keep your warranty intact if your car is relatively new.

Useful update GeeRam - is the price you hint at for the tune only or for the tune + cooling bits etc. ?
When I went into my dealers in the summer (so before this thread started ....) the price was coming in closer to £3k for the brochured "Power Upgrade" including the hardware.
I'd certainly pay £1,500 for a 38hp ATW gain and an intact warranty .......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next