Baby BMW Forum banner

Clutch Judder?

194K views 957 replies 268 participants last post by  Tennant 
#1 ·
Apidae,

this sounds like a well known problem that occurred on the E36 3 Series. Clucth Judder is exactly the term that it is referred to.

I don't know if it is the same problem, but on the E36 (and I had it) it only occurred when the engine was warm and had been running for a while. It also only occurred in first and reverse, and basically was due to a, either, asbestos clutch plate thing, or non asbestos clutch plate thing (can't exactly remember).

After inital complaints with the E36, BMW changed their warranty to exclude this plate (very sneeky)

I severly doubt that this problem is still occuring today, but maybe check to see if it only happens when the engine is warm - if it persists, take it to the dealer again

#2 ·
Apidae,

Don't worry about the oil consumption. I've been told it is normal. You have to refill approximately 1 liter between min and max. I have a 118d and I'm refilling every 7-8k kilometers. There's nothing to worry about - if you buy an M3 you have to refill 1 litre oil every 1,5k kilometers!!! :lol2:

#6 ·
I've had it too in 2 occasions.. I just thought the previous owner (driver) abbused the clutch too much.. It hasn't done it since our vacation. But I'll ask the dealer next time what it can be..

#7 ·
Another victim of clutch judder (130i) - mine is definately only when the car has been standing for a few days in damp weather. Dealer denies any knowledge of such problems in the 1 series! (of course!)

#8 ·
I have a 54 plate 1er and when im doin about 60mph and then lift my foot of the accelerator, and this has only happened once or twice not all time - there is like a little judder. Will have to make notes of times speeds etc and see if it happens a lot

#9 ·
Same here. I had this problem a couple of times after the car has been left standing on wet cold weather for hours. It dissapears after a couple of changes so I am not too bother yet. I will mention it to the dealer when it goes in for a service but I am not holding my breath as it will be almost impossible to replicate when the car is warmed up.

#10 ·
im still waiting for mine to do this.

My mates 118d did it a few times. but it has stopped new the weather has got better :)

#11 ·
i have experienced the judder once when it was awfully cold, and damp.

i do however always get a slight 'give' when releasing the accelerator from midpoint, while decreasing your speed gradually. the give is almost like the down shifting of an automatic transimssion. its weird i tell you, like the engine has a 'step' in it.

not giving that much of a problem so i'm not too worried. plus i've got my hands full with the leak in the back.

#13 ·
Just some info I collected regarding clutch judder and I hope it helps... (please note these are not my comments)

Clutch judder could be caused by a whole range of things:
1. Clutch itself could be worm out
2. There could be a gearbox oil leak that have burned on to the plate and make it sticky
3. There could be some problem with the engine/gearbox mountings that could be unrelated to the clutch but which generates like a clutch judder.

Preventing clutch judder
1. Never pull away from a standstill in second gear
2. Never hold the car on a hill with the clutch
3. Never let your foot rest on the clutch pedal when the car is moving. Just the slightest touch can cause the clutch to slip.

Do
1. Always slip the clutch as little as possible when pulling away
2. Always select neutral and bring up the clutch pedal if you're stationary for more than a few seconds
3. Always use the brakes to slow down the car, not downward gear changes.

#14 ·
this has happened to me twice already on a steep ramp with the engine dying. At first i thought it was my tuning of the clutch and gas. But then i noticed that this happened on occasions when my fuel was near empty. Could this have anything to do with the engine not getting enough fuel since the tank is almost empty and the car was tilted up? I know this sounds silly but I was told that the 1 series is unique as it is equipped with two half gas tanks (for weight distribution) which has a fuel pump transferring gas petrol from one to the other. Anyone knows more about this?

#15 ·
As it was getting worse I had BMW to look at it during a oil service and they decided to replace the clutch. I had a loaner for a few days and it was perfect. Nice bite point and easy and smooth to operate.
I would recommend to people to get BMW to have a look because I do not think it is normal and it should not judder.

#17 ·
If your clutch is juddering when the car is hot then there is a problem and the dealer should replace it under warranty (dependent on age and mileage). As mentioned in my previous post a small amount of judder when it is cold seems to be normal. This only happens for a short while.

If any of my cars start juddering when they are warmed up I will be off to the stealer and demand they sort it! I would suggest anyone else does the same. My dealer in Sheffield is excellent and I have used them for the past 10 years, all my problems have been sorted to my satisfaction.

There is always the option of giving BMW GB a call and registering your complaint with them. The dealers jump like cats on hot bricks if BMW get in touch with them as it effects there dealer status in customer satisfaction and results in them getting less deals and incentives from BMW.

Cheers,

Pete.

#19 ·
mmmm when I was sat in Traffic today mine was juddering quite badly. The car has covered 12k. My old 1er was fine at this mileage and at 25k when I sold it.

Off to the dealer tomorrow to complain. I just hope they don't try to wriggle out of the warranty claim due to the Hartge box! Sadly it is quite obvious and not a 5 minute job to take off... maybe a bribe with a bottle of single malt will help "oil the wheels"

Cheers,

Pete.

#22 ·
The clutch judder has not got considerably worse. It is now apparent virtually all the time when pulling off in 1st, regardless if the car is warmed up or not. Time for a trip to the dealer and a new clutch under warranty. My 1er does mainly motorway mileage so the Hartge box shouldn't put the clutch under any undue wear, its only been installed for the last 2000 miles...

We pay a lot of money for these cars and IMHO they should be right! I will let you know how I get on..

#24 ·
I have a 1 year old 120d M Sport and i know exactly what you are talking about. At first it felt like I wasn't giving the car enough GAS during take off in first gear.

The "judder" happens for me quite a lot and usually it is only me in the car. I think I will watch it for another week and if I get more judder I will take it into a dealer for advice.

If anyone has anymore updates then please let me know.

#25 ·
Hi all,

I have just purchased a 116i SE for my wife - 2004 24k miles and she has said she has problems with clutch judder. It seems to be worse when cold, but improves when warm.
I contacted the dealer who has agreed to investigate, but will a new clutch fix this??

Anyone have any other suggestions.......Pleeaassee !!

Thanks

#26 ·
It will more than likely fix it.

Mine had a new clutch, flywheel and some kind of guide for the release mechanism replaced a month or two ago (at about 20k miles). They said it was obvious it needed it when they took the old clutch off (but didn't say why).

The clutch now feels lurrvely. Setting off smoothly (all the time!) now requires a lot less concentration (I'd describe the clutch feeling like it needed to be released in two stages prior to the fix, with a brief pause when it was part way up...). It's now silky smooth.

Mine used to judder for the first few changes (more obviously on a cold damp morning) then it went away. It only occurred in 'hot' conditions when crawling in traffic for a long period of time.

My guess is that when cold there's moisture on the clutch plate which makes it slip, the symptoms go when it's warmed up and presumably the moisture evaporates. Not sure about when it's warm though, unless oil was somehow getting in. :?:

Hope you get sorted... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.