roundasapound's baby bimmer!!

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, MiniRoll

roundasapound
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

roundasapound's baby bimmer!!

Postby roundasapound » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:43 pm

This thread is a bit late. I purchased Le-Man (yep that's HIS name) end of March and brought him back down South as he ended up in Manchester.. Poor thing!! But he's back down South where he belongs! Haha..

Paid £7,295 and have a 2 year parts & labour warranty plus 1 year free breakdown cover. The car is an E87 '59' M Sport and had 84,100 miles, 2 previous owners.

Any whoo..

This is how Le-Man looked up to yesterday..

Straight after I got him I dyed the seats black and restored them back to former glory.

Also sorted an extra key as it only came with one.

In April he had an oil change and cruise control fitted at Munich Legends.

In June I went to Bluewater and met a few of you. Marco_Polo gave me a Superchips bluefin handset as I was already bored of the car (I should've got a 130i) but that's another discussion for another day!

Friday (12/08/16) I drove to Superchips in Buckingham and got the car remapped. It's a much nicer driving experience. Gears 3-5 have been transformed. Love it.

This week my other bits came and well they needed to be fitted and I kind of invited myself to the Red Wizard's house for a Sunday afternoon fitting session.

Sunday (14/08/16)

So after a few hours we had the following fitted:

Bi-xenon Depo's - made by TobyE82

BMWP gloss grilles - ordered from Cotswold

Smoked indicator lights to get rid of the eggy look (LED replacement bulbs have been ordered)

Chrome indicator bulbs to get rid of eggy look at front and back..

Afterwards I drank a cold beer, went home and washed the car.

2 bucket method. First time I've washed a car myself in a long long time and that is a workout.

These are the photos of Le-Man this morning..

The other things I want to do:

Interior LED lights (ordered)

Hi-Line LED rear strip lights

Twin exhaust

Carbon rear diffuser with honeycomb mesh

New wheels and tyres.. I really like the 313's but there's no way in hell I'm paying £1k for them. There's other wheels I've got my eye on.

Aero spoiler

ICE upgrade

So that's it for now.

And.. I can promise you by the time I'm done the end of this build thread will look like the credits from an episode of Friends. All the nice people helping me from this forum as I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to fixing cars, maintenance, etc. I just know what looks good and how to drive 'em! :lol:

That's it for now. Stay tuned. Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by roundasapound on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Japan Red 130i M Sport :wavey:
My baby bimmer: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=89303

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: roundasapound's baby bimmer!!

Postby marco_polo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:57 pm

Great work!

If you can find a nice set of 2nd hand wheels, you can always re-sell them for what you buy them for (when Le-Man goes off to a new home). Long term net cost to you, zero dollar. :)
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

roundasapound
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby roundasapound » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:09 pm

marco_polo wrote:Great work!

If you can find a nice set of 2nd hand wheels, you can always re-sell them for what you buy them for (when Le-Man goes off to a new home). Long term net cost to you, zero dollar. :)

Well in an ideal world I'd hope to do that.

Thanks marco.
I'll be consulting you before purchasing rims to ensure they fit.

Twenny

Postby Twenny » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Nice work looking very very nice, and some nice mods planned too.

I also fitted some interior LED's and was very happy until someone showed me their interior LED lights that were super bright -
So I bought some lol

You could also get rid of the fishing rod sticking out of your roof? - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261351496422

2010 E82 125i modded by Babybmw.net
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp - BMWP exhaust-intake-skirts-gear knob-grilles-Rieger diffuser-Darklines-cruise control fitted-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My blog thing - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

roundasapound
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby roundasapound » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Twenny wrote:Nice work looking very very nice, and some nice mods planned too.

I also fitted some interior LED's and was very happy until someone showed me their interior LED lights that were super bright -
So I bought some lol

You could also get rid of the fishing rod sticking out of your roof? - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261351496422

Thanks Twenny.

I have my eye on you. You're known for emptying members wallets on this forum :lol:

If I order this stubby aerial does it just screw in and job done?

Twenny

Postby Twenny » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:34 pm

roundasapound wrote:Thanks Twenny.

I have my eye on you. You're known for emptying members wallets on this forum :lol:

If I order this stubby aerial does it just screw in and job done?

Haha this is true I do like to help and offer advice on modifications and upgrades lol

And yes simple un-screw and screw in, you may possibly lose a little reception but seeing as you live in our great capital you shouldn't notice it.

2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp - BMWP exhaust-intake-skirts-gear knob-grilles-Rieger diffuser-Darklines-cruise control fitted-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My blog thing - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

roundasapound
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby roundasapound » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:44 pm

Stubby aerial ordered ta!

I want the diffuser design like this one
This is Sonic1506 pic

But.. In carbon pattern like this

Recommendations please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mjh7290
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby Mjh7290 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:00 am

Very nice mate i need to get rid of my fishing pole and get a stubby one as well
2011 Bmw 116d E87

Red5

Postby Red5 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:12 am

Nice work from Barrie there :)

If you go the carbon route, be prepared to spend! If you do the diffuser, you'll be wanting the mirror caps and front splitters too! If you can avoid the temptation to start carbonising the interior, that'll be £good£!

Then it will look a bit strange unless you fit the darkline rear light clusters :)

The wheels are a good idea, as they'll transform the car, but you might want to plan a slight drop, as it'll look a bit high on low profile rubber.
It's the sidewall vs arch gap vs offset that needs to look in balance.

If you do that, you'll need to get it properly aligned and then get the rear subframe inserts popped in, to tame the flatter rear.

Then just the other bits and he'll be really rollin :)
Gone
Very fast 135i

Red5 & Semerka's Stable
Carmine Red Cayman GTS + LSD, Man Box, Sports Chassis + more
Volcano Grey Macan SD + 20" Sport Design, PASM & cosy Red Leather

(Team Rob)

marco_polo

Postby marco_polo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:11 am

That carbon diffuser you like is a genuine BMW Performance part, hideously expensive!

Try SSDD Motorsport for decent replicas/alternatives. Teddy will have matching mirror caps, corner splitters, etc too.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

redwizard

Postby redwizard » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:38 am

I "won" my spare set of BMW 222's (complete with rubbish run-flat tyres) for £200 on Ebay, the only snag being a 6-hour round trip to Cardiff to collect them.

Wheels were in excellent condition too, although they've now been refurbished in light antracite to match my other set (used for winters).

Of course, not everybody likes 16inch 222's but, hey, ho.

I'm not paying silly money for wheels.... http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bmw_alloy_wheels/1_series_e87_alloys/16_bmw_222_wheel_1027

How's the lighting? Driven in the dark yet?

BTW, how about blanking my number plate too.
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
mods - BMWP power kit, black grills, LED darklines, Bimmian LEDs, pressed plates, light anthracite 222s
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin

roundasapound
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby roundasapound » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:11 pm

redwizard wrote:How's the lighting? Driven in the dark yet?

BTW, how about blanking my number plate too.

Sorry.. :oops: I've corrected that now.

Not driven in the dark yet.
Must do that soon. I need to find out from TobyE82 if this flickering malarkey on start up is normal.

Red5 wrote:Nice work from Barrie there :)

If you go the carbon route, be prepared to spend! If you do the diffuser, you'll be wanting the mirror caps and front splitters too! If you can avoid the temptation to start carbonising the interior, that'll be £good£!

Then it will look a bit strange unless you fit the darkline rear light clusters :)

The wheels are a good idea, as they'll transform the car, but you might want to plan a slight drop, as it'll look a bit high on low profile rubber.
It's the sidewall vs arch gap vs offset that needs to look in balance.

If you do that, you'll need to get it properly aligned and then get the rear subframe inserts popped in, to tame the flatter rear.

Then just the other bits and he'll be really rollin :)

Ha!.. I got my hands a bit dirty as well you know.. packed and unpacked stuff, held the box for screws, helped secure the rubber seal and held the bumper! Did I mention I must've burned 500 calories from washing and drying that bloody car?!

Subframe inserts.. if I get this, do I need wheel spacers as well? I don't like the way the rear looks too high up. It needs dropping.. or is that a spring/coilover job as well?

I'm going to change the rear light clusters.

marco_polo wrote:That carbon diffuser you like is a genuine BMW Performance part, hideously expensive!

Try SSDD Motorsport for decent replicas/alternatives. Teddy will have matching mirror caps, corner splitters, etc too.

Thank you, I will go look as I will need to purchase diffuser before getting exhaust fitted. I hate this grey plastic diffuser. What the heck were BMW thinking with the single oval exhaust and grey diffuser?!

Btw.. backbox delete, this keeps DPF intact, it just cuts away single pipe to replace with twin exhaust?

marco_polo

Postby marco_polo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:23 pm

Single oval exhaust is 'correct', twin pipes are for 6+ cylinder cars.

I think you need at least one muffler for the MOT, so make sure there's at least one small silencer in there somewhere.

roundasapound
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby roundasapound » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:30 pm

marco_polo wrote:Single oval exhaust is 'correct', twin pipes are for 6+ cylinder cars.

I think you need at least one muffler for the MOT, so make sure there's at least one small silencer in there somewhere.

Can the muffler be fitted and left in place permanently at the same time when fitting the twin pipes?
I don't really care about the noise, I want it for aesthetics.

marco_polo

Postby marco_polo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:33 pm

Do you have a centre silencer currently?

This show's you should http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=UD92-EUR-04-2009-E87N-BMW-120d&diagId=18_0561 so if that's the case, a backbox delete will be fine. :)

Return to “Members Cars”