2016 C63 AMG

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

essiii
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

2016 C63 AMG

Post by essiii » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:24 pm

I've already mentioned in my "bye bye M135i" thread that it will be replaced, for the next two years by a brand new MY2016.5 C63 AMG.

My initial thoughts are below, along with some pics. I'll add some more thoughts and pics as and when.

From any sort of front on angle the car looks great. The aggressive look is accentuated by the two bonnet power mounds. However the bizarre shaped boot mean that the side and rear profiles are a little less appealing. I was initially planning on debadging and dechroming the whole car, however I think I'll settle for removing the boot badges (done already) and vinyl wrapping the chrome boot strip in gloss black. I actually quite like the brushed silver pieces on the front of the car, which is rare for me.

Inside, the car is nothing short of stunning. The seats are sexy and supportive, the steering wheel is the perfect thickness and well finished (plus I love a flat bottomed wheel) and the quality of leather, metal and alcantara on the doors and dash are superb. I don't know why I wasn't expecting such a step up in class from the M135i - logic would dictate that the more expensive car should be much nicer inside, but it still caught me by surprise. Yes the iPad stuck on the dash is a little clumsy, and I'm not convinced I need both a touch pad and a spinny wheel to control the infotainment system, but none the less, the Merc is a lovely place to sit. The heated memory seats and panoramic roof only make the experience better! I've also got a tonnne of storage space - the door pockets and centre arm rest are cavernous.

One oddity is the lack of a gear stick - moving between R, N & D is done from the stalk on the right hand side of the steering wheel. I expected this to be weird, but got used to it pretty quickly. As well as Comfort, Sport and Sport+ driver modes, the merc has an Individual mode - this can be customised to your own settings; I've got mine set up with comfort suspension, sport+ drivetrain, sport traction control and manual gears (flappy paddles). This seems to give me the best of all worlds - good throttle response, nice exhaust noises and personal control over the gearbox. Best of all, the merc remembers what driver mode you were last in so next time you start the car you're all set to carry on. This was always an annoyance with the M135i - definitely a 1st world problem, but nice to not have the problem any more! The merc also remembers my auto wiper and auto main beam settings, rather than having to enable these every time I start the car - again, this is nice!

The headlights are ridiculous. LEDs that turn around corners and "bend" the main beam to avoid other cars while still giving you massive visibility. They also adjust with speed, throwing light further down the road as you travel faster. The adaptive Xenons on the M135i were great, these are better. There's a whole load of other clever tech built into the car - a 360 degree camera that basically shows you an overhead view of the car when you're parking; gimmicky but kind of useful, comfort access so I can lock and unlock the doors without removing my keys from my pocket, a G meter, an oil temperature gauge, shift lights. I can open and close the boot from the remote control. A lot of really unnecessary stuff, but I'm a gadget man and love this sort of stuff!

Ok, so what's it like to drive? Well I've only put 400 miles on it, so it's still very much in the running in period and I'm still learning, but the short story is that it's planted, fast and loud. It doesn't feel entirely dissimilar to the M135i, except that you feel much more connected to the road. I always found the BM a little vague around the limit and not particularly confidence inspiring when trying to apply traction in a hurry. The merc feels like it's grabbing on to the road, I'm interested to get it out on Snetterton and see how much quicker than the BM I go. Even keeping the revs under 4,500 (mostly ;)) the car is fast. Properly fast. There's minimal turbo lag, just a massive surge of power. With 275 wide Michelin Pilot Supersports on the rear and an LSD it puts the power down capably, although it's still entirely possible to break traction if provoked.

The gearbox is great - a 7 speed single clutch jobby, very similar in feel to the 8 speed ZF in the BM. 7th gear is very long to allow motorway speeds with minimal revs. Cold starts are pretty anti social. Maybe not quite M135i + sports cat + Milltek level of loud, but not far off, and with a nice automated blip of the throttle just to ensure everyone is awake. In terms of ride, it's pretty firm even in comfort mode. I'm on 18" wheels and will be in no rush to move up in size even if they do look a little bit lost in the arches. Having said that, it's no firmer than the M135i was on Eibachs, and is much quieter in the way it goes about riding the bumps in the road. This isn't a problem for me, I'm still young and stupid enough to enjoy a firm ride :).

In short, I love the car. It took me a while to really bond with the M135i, but this one has got right under my skin straight away.

essiii
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 2016 C63 AMG

Post by essiii » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:24 pm

(that's right, fake exhaust tips!!!)

Last edited by essiii on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essiii
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by essiii » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:25 pm

Car is at Valet Magic for a protection detail - pics to follow.

myles
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by myles » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:27 pm

Love these, you are a lucky guy.
Black Sapphire '58' 130i | Darklines | Storm Motorwerks gear knob | M3 LCA

MAW73
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by MAW73 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Stunning car mate. Now that's what I call a proper upgrade from the M135i.

Enjoy and looking forward to seeing more photos once it's detailed.

Japanred120d

2016 C63 AMG

Post by Japanred120d » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Nice car mate (apart from those dreadful cost cutting exhaust tips)!!!
Did you consider the old C63?
2015 BMW F80 M3 Grigio Telesto individual. Carbon kit
2008 Porsche 997 911 Carrera 4S. Black. Factory fit Aero kit
Gone: 2007 BMW E92 325i coupe Arctic Metallic
Gone: 2012 BMW F20 118d sport Alpine White
Gone: 2005 BMW E87 120d sport Japan Red

essiii
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by essiii » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:10 pm

Japanred120d wrote:Nice car mate. Did you consider the old C63?
Cheers, and nope. I'd already decided I was going to lease my next car, so it was always going to be something new. Just happened that an in stock C63 happened to appear just outside my price range. So I extended my price range :).

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:11 pm

Very nice.

sonnyx

Post by sonnyx » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:13 pm

Great car, best colour.
Enjoy, your going to find it hard not modding your lease i bet.
Range Rover Vogue v8 17 Matt black 22" wheels
Red Alfa

rjwojcik

Post by rjwojcik » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Stunning :thumbs:

Apart from those fake tips,
Gone: 2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87243
Gone: 2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black -
viewtopic.php?t=30839
(Team Rob)

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Awesome car bud. Enjoy it to the limit.

Who cares about the tips :lol: They are just for styling and do just that.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

Tommo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tommo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:35 am

Nice (shame about the noise ;) ) like the wheels. Fancy a run on Sunday? :) Must say the seats do look comfy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom

2010 C63 AMG - Milltek cat delete & factory Carbon
2006 130i M Sport - lots of goodies
2008 118d Edition ES with Msport body kit & interior

Mjh7290
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mjh7290 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:53 am

Very nice mate as said above a good upgrade over the 135 :)
2011 Bmw 116d E87

PearceHD
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by PearceHD » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:13 am

Very nice Rich, pics don't do it justice.

Not sure about the screen on the dash though :( Seems like they designed a beautiful leather dash but forgot that they needed to add a screen so just bolted an iPad to it. I may be biased though as I have always been a fan of built in dash screens :D
F22 M235i, EB, MP Front+Rear Diffusers, MP Rear Spoiler, MP Interior & MPE
Mods: M4 Paddle Shifters, BMW Performance Bucket Seats

Instagram: PearceHD
M235i build thread

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:16 am

roundasapound wrote:I don't like the fake tips either.

Other than that it's a great looking car. Looks even better in black than white for sure.
Gorgeous car!

SS Autowerks can fix that ;).

Return to “Other Cars”