Baby BMW Forum banner

RJW's MG F80 M3 CP - "Grey"

21K views 66 replies 19 participants last post by  Semerka 
#1 ·
Most of you will probably know, my previous pride n joy was an E82 LMB 135i, known as "Blue" in the household, which had some amendments sympathetically applied ;-) , see . Blue had been owned since Nov 2011.

So now to my ramblings, apologies if it goes on a bit ;-)

It was around a year ago that the need to move up to something bigger began, my main objective was the need for a taxi. But I didn't want to take a step back in terms of performance over functionality, so this limited my choice somewhat. Candidates were the E9x M3, S4/RS4 and also the 340i. The only drawback with the 340i was that once you added the cost of sorting out the suspension/tyres (including an LSD), added some factory options that I would have expected should have been standard and took into account the cost of insurance on a heavily modified car it was just not making sense.

Then came the infamous "Insane F8x Deal" from TRL, around March time I recall. Using a combination of rational and man maths thinking, I reckoned I could just about scrape into one. I would save on not modding, options that I wanted were already standard and insurance on a "standard" car would be a lot cheaper.

So, first I needed to sell Blue as I needed to be confident that I could realise a minimum price. Part exchange, WBAC was not an option as my budget was down to the wire. I think it took around 8 weeks to sell Blue and by that time the TRL deal had sold out. Damn!!! What to do? What to do?
So then the graft began. I started with some of the local dealers to me but also asked some members on the forums, from whom I got some decent contacts. Thank you to everyone who did respond, BTW.

Then came what I call the "dance". I found there was little point cold calling dealers and asking for a deal. It made more sense to start and build up a bit of rapport first. If possible I tried to meet up face to face or a least start telephone conversations going. Then I would let them get on with their sell but eventually would drop the bombshell of showing them other deals out there, ask why I should go with their deal rather than the better deal and see what they can do? Some were completely useless but a couple were prepared to get close to the TRL deal.

So, on 27-Apr the taxi was ordered (now christened "Grey"). Poverty spec, this is what I went for:

• ZCP1 F80 M3 Competition Package Saloon S55
  • B39 Mineral Grey
  • LKSW Black Extended Merino Leather
  • 2MK Seven-speed Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) w/ DRIVELOGIC
  • 320 Model designation deletion
  • 3AG Reversing Assist camera
  • 3AP Windscreen with grey shade band
  • 403 Electric Glass Sunroof
  • 420 Sun protection glass
  • 441 Smokers package
  • 493 Extended storage
  • 688 Loudspeaker system - harman/kardon surround sound
  • 7M9 BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line with extended contents
  • 7MA Competition package

Fast forward to today. Here are some pics on collection:

Short term plans are to get the car detailed and protected but that will probably be it for now. Thank you for reading and hoping for a long / happy relationship.

Dead chuffed to say the least, my first M :) :) :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to "Grey", she looks great! :cool2:
I would not say that she's poverty specced at all.

You must be chuffed to bits and wishing you many happy "taxi" miles. You should charge! :wink:

#3 ·
Lovely looking car Rob! Well done :)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts as you get to know one another.

The wheels look a b1tch to clean! Even worse than the CSL design! BMW really do know how to keep us busy at the weekends :lol2:

#5 ·
Semerka said:
Welcome to "Grey", she looks great! :cool2:
I would not say that she's poverty specced at all.

You must be chuffed to bits and wishing you many happy "taxi" miles. You should charge! :wink:
Yeap, working late Fri / Sat night. Will need to put a plastic sheet on the rear seats in case anyone throws up. Grey will pay for herself in no time. :wink: :lol2:

#6 ·
Red5 said:
Lovely looking car Rob! Well done :)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts as you get to know one another.

The wheels look a b1tch to clean! Even worse than the CSL design! BMW really do know how to keep us busy at the weekends :lol2:
On the fence regarding the wheels, but determined not to change anything for now

#9 ·
Blackbmw120d said:
Car looks awesome Rob. I think you've gone for the very best colour combo.

Performance exhaust available for sound or is it not needed ?
Cheers G

I am trying to resist any major investments, la, la, la, la, la (not listening). It'll do me for now, it's load enough for me.

May do a couple of minor changes but that'll be it.

#10 ·
Looks good Rob - although a bit too bland colour combo for my loud tastes :wink: :D

Be good to hear your thoughts on seat comfort over the next few months as I've got a few months yet before I have to make my mind up on what to buy next.
Good to read up on your 'deal' procedure as well, given I'll have to do similar if I choose the M3 route as well (although I have to say, rattly soot chucker powered X3/X5 route is looking more likely I think)

#11 ·
I pick my YMB F82 CP this Friday and I can't wait :D

I've had all interior carbon with MP steering wheel, and carbon rear spoiler, carbon diffuser, carbon corners, 12mm spacers all around and it looks incredible :spotman:

#16 ·
congratulations - lovely machine!

#18 ·
Thanks for all your kind words. Looking forward to turning the volume up to 11 after the Running In Service. But taking into account the miles I do it may take a few months :rollseyes: Should be done for the romp.

#19 ·
First mod, removal of the airbag warning stickers on the passenger sun visor. Apologies for the quality of the pics, it was getting dark and my roof liner is not covered with those little white bits.

How I did it:

1. Get your tools together
a) Strong kitchen roll (not the cheap ****e stuff that disintegrates when you use it)
b) Scissors (to cut the above)
c) Tweezers (not required in the end)
d) Meth spirits
e) Masking tape
f) Cling film
g) Jelly babies

2. Mask round the label. Not absolutely necessary, but it's my OCD kicking in.

3. Cut a piece of the kitchen roll to a slightly bigger size than the label, soak it in the meths and place over the label

4. Get some cling film and cover the label. Now wait for the cooking to take place... The cling film helps the alcohol from evaporating.

5. And wait...

6. After 20 minutes, remove the cling film, kitchen roll and masking tape. Then gently pull the label, which should be soft and just peels off.

7. Then just clean it all up.

By this point all of the jelly babies have been eaten and you should also feel slightly ill. :sick:

#20 ·
rjwojcik said:
First mod, removal of the airbag warning stickers on the passenger sun visor. Apologies for the quality of the pics, it was getting dark and my roof liner is not covered with those little white bits.

How I did it:

1. Get your tools together
a) Strong **SPAM** roll (not the cheap sh*te stuff that disintegrates when you use it)
b) Scissors (to cut the above)
c) Tweezers (not required in the end)
d) Meth spirits
e) Masking tape
f) Cling film
g) Jelly babies

2. Mask round the label. Not absolutely necessary, but it's my OCD kicking in.

3. Cut a piece of the **SPAM** roll to a slightly bigger size than the label, soak it in the meths and place over the label

4. Get some cling film and cover the label. Now wait for the cooking to take place... The cling film helps the alcohol from evaporating.

5. And wait...

6. After 20 minutes, remove the cling film, **SPAM** roll and masking tape. Then gently pull the label, which should be soft and just peels off.

7. Then just clean it all up.

By this point all of the jelly babies have been eaten and you should also feel slightly ill. :sick:
Haha, I'm reading through this wondering what the hell the jelly babies are used for!

Now I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Busy day today. Grey had the RIS (Running In Service) done this morning. She was a little under 1,200 miles last night so I left a little earlier to get some more miles on the clock before dropping her off. How's this for accuracy:

The M4 style spoiler also went on this afternoon, the last of the cosmetic updates I have planned. I was a bit apprehensive doing the actual fitting but in the end it was fine, just needed to take your time.

Excuse the poor photos, but spot the difference. Three for the front and two for the rear (the spoiler I've already given so that doesn't count).

I think Grey may be in need of some spacers.

#23 ·
Can't believe I missed this thread!!!!!

Rob? We've spoken privately the day you received it and can only repeat what an amazing car you've got yourself so so pleased for you mate, you're a true gent and deserve this amazing machine.
Blue was amazing Grey is astonishing. Can't wait to see her/him at the romp Woop Woop

Although I'm sure you'll change the wheels at some point lol

2010 E82 125i modded by Babybmw.net

#24 ·
Twenny said:
Can't believe I missed this thread!!!!!

Rob? We've spoken privately the day you received it and can only repeat what an amazing car you've got yourself so so pleased for you mate, you're a true gent and deserve this amazing machine.
Blue was amazing Grey is astonishing. Can't wait to see her/him at the romp Woop Woop

Looking forward to the Romp, matey. Hopefully see you Mon night, hopefully the weather will be dry for you guys...

#26 ·
Twenny said:

What??! :eek2: :eek2: those wheels are bloody amazing! Who would change them?

The car is gorgeous, and with those subtle mods, truly masturbation-material

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.